May 26, 2024


Jury selection is set to begin in the trial of a Texas cab driver accused of the 2008 “honor killings” of his two teenage daughters. CBS DFW reports.

Yasser Abdel Said was captured after 12 years on the run in August 2020, in Justin, 36 miles northwest of Dallas. At the time, he was one of the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted.

Said’s brother Yassein and his son Islam were arrested in Euless, Texas. Both were charged with harboring a known fugitive and are now serving time in federal prison.

The Egyptian-born suspect had been wanted on a murder warrant since the New Year’s Day 2008 fatal shootings of two Lewisville High School students, Sarah Yaser Said, 17, and Amina Yaser Said, 18.

Amina and Sarah Said

Justice for Sarah and Amina Facebook page

A police report at the time said a family member told investigators the suspect threatened “bodily harm” against Sarah for dating a non-Muslim woman. The mother, Patricia Side, fled with her daughters the week before their deaths because she was in “great fear for her life.” Gail Gattrell, the brothers’ great-grandmother, called the deaths an “honor killing,” in which a woman is killed by a relative to protect her family’s honor.

The teenage sisters were found shot multiple times in a taxi outside a motel in Irving, a suburb of Dallas. Police found them after one of the girls called 911 from a cell phone and said she was dying.

“Help,” said a voice yelling on the 911 recording, later identified by police as Sarah Said’s. “I’m dying. Oh my god. Stop.”

Daughters killed-Father arrested
This undated photo provided by the Irving (Texas) Police Department shows Yaser Abdel Said.


Police were unable to immediately locate the teenagers after being called at 7:33 p.m. Much of what Sarah said on the recording was unintelligible, and the dispatcher’s repeated requests to give her an address went unanswered.

An emergency dispatcher received another call about an hour later from an Irving motel. The bodies of the brothers were in a cab, one in the passenger seat and the other in the back. The caller said he could see blood.

“They don’t look alive,” said the caller, whose name was redacted from the recording.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *