Far Cry 6 is now available to play for free, though only for a few days.
The last first person shooter in a long time Far Cry The series is free from today until August 7 on PC (Ubisoft and Epic Game Store) as well as PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia and Amazon Luna.
Free players will have access to the entire game as well as all free DLC released so far. The game is available to play in 2-player online co-op, although unfortunately it is not cross-play.
I did a preview Far Cry 6 before it was released, but never played the actual game since it was released, so this will be a good chance to give it another go. Admittedly, while I’ve had a lot of fun with this series, it’s starting to get the slightest bit repetitive. I wish they would ditch the formula and do something different. The first three Far Cry games were all completely different experiences, but from Far Cry 4 and then we had the same game in different locations basically. (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon it was also fantastic).
The game takes place on the tropical island of Yara (a fictional Cuba, basically) under the despotic rule of Antón Castillo (played by Giancarlo Esposito of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul reputation).
You play as Dani Rojas (not that Danny Rojas!) and can choose to be male or female, an option that has become common in recent Ubisoft titles. Gather NPC companions, pets and a huge arsenal of weapons and explore and fight your way through the deadly jungles and cities of Yara. If you have played Far Cry you get the picture. If you don’t have it, it’s free, so you can too!
The game wasn’t rated as well as some entries in the series, with 76/100 on OpenCritic. (Far Cry 3 it had high 80s and low 90s on Metacritic, and is widely considered the high point of the series).
Far Cry 6 Sale
Ubisoft also announced a sale for the game, slashing prices on it and its DLC and season passes. Via press release:
- PC via Ubisoft Store: From now until August 16, players can get 60% off the Standard, Gold, and Ultimate editions of the game, 50% off the Season Pass and all three DLCs, and get $5 extra credit in their Ubisoft Store account to use for their next purchase when they pick up Far Cry 6 during the promotion period. More information can be found by visiting: store.ubisoft.com.
- PC via Epic Games Store: From now until August 8th, players can get 60% off all versions of the game and 50% off the Season Pass and all three DLCs.
- Xbox: From now until August 15th, players can get 60% off the Standard and Gold editions of the game and 50% off the Season Pass.
- PlayStation: From now until August 17, players can get 55% off the Deluxe Edition** and 60% off the Ultimate Edition of the game as part of the PlayStation Store Summer Sale.
Photo Mode Contest
Ubisoft also announced a Photo Mode contest. To enter players will need to post an in-game photo, video or GIF that captures their “summer vibe” on Twitter, Instagram or TikTok. Entries must include the hashtag #FarCry6FreeWeekendContest to win. Prizes include:
- AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics cards
- Far Cry 6 collectible figurines
- Tobii eye trackers
- Corsair headphones
I am going here for more details on the competition.