Just a day after hinting he wasn’t sure if his health would allow him to return for another year, Tigers Shortstop Miguel Cabrera set the record straight in his plans for 2023, saying it Detroit News that he plans to return for a 21st season.
Cabrera’s confirmation comes after he told reporters Thursday that he was struggling with the weight of another year in baseball. At age 39, the 12-time All-Star hinted that he had been dealing with ongoing knee problems that had left him unsure if his body could handle another season.
“I don’t feel good right now,” Cabrera said, according to his Evan Petzold Detroit Free Press. “I’m trying to do my best to go out there and play, but I’m not feeling too good right now.”
But on Friday, Cabrera made it clear that he intends to return for one more year and fulfill his contract with the Tigers.
“I’m not going to retire,” he told them News. “Not until next year when my contract is up. They didn’t understand what I said. There’s no way I’m giving up.”
Scroll to continue
Cabrera, who has spent the past 15 years in Detroit, was a special selection for this year’s All-Star Game, along with future National League Hall of Famer Albert Pujols. In 92 games this season, he is hitting .268/.317/.332 with four home runs and 36 RBI.
However, in recent weeks the two-time AL MVP has seen his numbers drop. Over his last 21 games, the veteran slugger is hitting just .131 with three extra base hits.
Still, Cabrera is determined to see out the end of his contract with the Tigers, which will pay him $32 million next season. He will turn 40 next April.
“Next year is going to be a lot better,” Cabrera told the News. “Next year I’ll be there.”
More MLB Coverage:
Daily Cover: Direction of College Athletics hangs in the balance. See how.