Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi would not confirm which surveillance entities, but stressed that the USSS is cooperating fully as the multiple investigations are ongoing.
Multiple sources told CNN that it is an unusual step to provide Secret Service agents’ personal cell phone numbers to investigators.
CNN previously reported that the US Secret Service deleted text messages from January 5 and 6, 2021. The text messages in question may have been deleted when the agency conducted a phone data transfer that began on January 27, 2021.
Multiple watchdog agencies, including the Homeland Security Office of the Inspector General, the National Archives and the House January committee, are either investigating or requesting more information about the USSS text messages. It’s not immediately clear if those personal cell phone numbers from agents are related to those investigations.
“I feel strongly that I will use this time to oversee and ensure the continued cooperation, responsiveness and full support of our agency in connection with the ongoing congressional and other investigations,” he said in a message to his workforce. .