October 6, 2022


The Trump administration’s controversial policy of separating families at the US-Mexico border may have ended in 2018, but families and children in the US, Mexico and Central America are still feeling its effects years later.

More than 1,000 families affected by the policy have not been reunited, according to NBC News mentionted this week.

In 185 cases, the parents who were separated from their children and likely deported have not even been traced; The Atlantic References.

When Joe Biden took office, the president signed an executive order creating a task force to find and reunite the more than 5,000 families separated under the Trump White House.

The previous administration kept no records from which families were separated and where various members were sent, so the process often involves a painstaking search for any trace of the divided families. Many of the parents were deported before being reunited with their children.

Since early August, the Biden Family Reunification Task Force announced it had reunited 400 children with their parents, a milestone celebrated by supporters.

“We’re excited for the hundreds of children who will finally be with their parents after so many years, but we’re not even halfway through reuniting all the families who remain separated by the Trump administration,” Lee Gelernt, an ACLU attorney who represents. separated families, he told NBC. “And indeed, we still haven’t identified nearly 200 families. I think the Biden administration would agree that there’s still a lot of work to be done.”

The independent contacted the Border Patrol for comment.

In July, four parents who were violently separated from their families in Arizona sued the federal governmentclaiming they were given “no notice, no briefing and no plan for reunification.

According to the lawsuit, a Guatemalan parent, identified as MSE in the complaint, came to the U.S. through Yuma, seeking asylum. They turned into Border Patrol agents, who forcibly separated her from her 14-year-old son for weeks.

The boy said the incident deeply traumatized him.

“I’m big now, so I try to be strong. But I still feel broken inside,” the teenager, identified as JM in the suit, said in court documents.

“We are taking the Biden administration to court to ensure these families receive the compensation they deserve for the trauma the federal government has inflicted on them,” said Tami Goodlette, director of courts at RAICES. to Republic of Arizona. “Zero tolerance was a deliberate act of abuse and it is the responsibility of the current administration to repair the ongoing damage caused to these families.”

In 2021, the Biden administration withdrew from negotiations on financial settlements for separated families and has defended family separations as legal in court earlier this year.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.